Wait...are you really saying that I need to think of reasons to implement online lessons with my students??? There is no way I would ever so why should I even bother!!! (Literally my reaction to the assignment). However, the more I thought on the idea of online teaching the more comfortable I felt with it. After much thought, I came up with a solution. I know it might sound crazy but just listen because sometimes crazy ideas are the best, or as Larry Page once said "good ideas are always crazy until they're not."
Since there is a fast growing population of homeschool kids in our area, why don't we provide an option for all homeschooled kids to be part of an online seminary class. We could even leave this option open for kids in regular school scheduled classes to use the online classes as an option for make up for when they miss their regular seminary class and even include students who have physical impediments that don't allow them to attend school to be part of online seminary.
But before going big scale with online seminary, maybe I could just give an overview of the book of scripture we will be studying that year in an online format to set up the context. To do this I could create a HyperDoc over the time line that doctrine and covenants covers. I would make multiple HyperDocs for each of the different periods in the time line of Doctrine and Covenants. It could be divided into periods such as; New York and Pennsylvania, Ohio, Missouri, Nauvoo, Coming to the West. I would search for videos in the media portal of the church, online pictures, scripture passages on gospel library app and links to pioneer journals and hymns. I would then create questions for the students to think about as they are exploring these resources.
I would select a HyperDoc over a WebQuest since with HyperDoc I can insert links, multimedia, pictures, and information about a topic which provide different ways for students to explore and engage in lessons. On the other hand, since WebQuest is more of a guided lesson that utilize the web to navigate over a particular topic. Therefore, with a WebQuest Students have to complete ordered tasks linked to websites on the internet which doesn't give them as many opportunities to explore or engage in the lesson. So why do would I choose HyperDocs? Well I once read that "HyperDocs are like WebQuests on steroids…not necessarily bigger, but so much better!"https://adahlshouse.wordpress.com/tag/hyperdocs/
No comments:
Post a Comment